Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Back in the Game

The CVS game that is. I suppose there are some people who find this game silly (after all, is it really worth the piddling I'm saving?) but I think it is worth it, and I'll tell you why in just a minute. First, the CVS loot of the week. I'll admit the last few weeks I haven't really "CVS'd", just stopping in to pick up 1 or 2 items I use normally that happened to be on special. But this week:


  • Scott 12 pack toilet paper: Regularly $11.99/On sale for $6.99 with card/coupon for $1 off=$5.99 spent

  • Bic Soleil Razor: Reg. $6.99/On sale for $5.99 with card/coupon for $2.00 off=$3.99 spent

  • Colgate Toothpase: Reg $1.30/On sale for $.99 with card/coupon for $1.00=FREE!!

  • Head and Shoulders: Reg $5.89/On sale for $4.99 with card=$4.99 spent

I also had an ECB rewards coupon for $3.50 off, and I received a total of $5.00 in ECB back (plus a coupon for $4.00 off $20.00 of Playskool items...which probably won't be used, but still.) Anyhow, after using coupons and factoring in the "money" I got back, I technically got the above 4 items for $6.74. That's not too bad, right?


After hitting CVS I moved on to the grocery store. I was inevitably going to spend less money today because I was shopping alone (i.e. without my husband) but I was impressed that I got a week's worth of provisions for around $69.00. I know Money Saving Mom feeds her family of 4 on $35 a week...but I don't think we're there yet, actually I don't think we'll ever be there. But we usually spend between $100 and $120 a week, so $69.00 is pretty good to me! This included ingredients for a sirloin steak dinner. I think not "needing" to get things every week allows me to buy what's on sale to stock up and the fresh items I need (i.e. milk, produce, meat.) To make this week even sweeter, I then used my gas points at Giant (not sure how that works but basically they give you cents off gas after spending x amount of money at the grocery store) for a full tank of gas at just $3.17 a gallon. Not bad at all.

One final note, I found a blog of interest: Cousin Yellowstone. This guy (I think its a guy) picks up recyclable trash as sport. Pretty noble.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why not just go to Sam's Club (or similar). One stop convenience, less trips (less gas/time), and prices meet/beat what you're getting with way less effort. CVS is marked up so that savings only get you close to bulk stores.