Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Let's Talk About Being Wasteful


So my friend Ray--ever the supporter of all things green and frugal--gave me this book. It was published in the olden days (in this case, 1984) and is part of a series of books that were (I think) intended to help teach kids about important things. I think I had one called "Let's Talk About
Sharing". Anyhow, we both noted the funny thing about this book is that of all the reasons they cite for being NOT wasteful, protecting the environment isn't one of them.

For example, the book illustrates how taking a long shower uses all the hot water...and then you have nothing but cold. Or, how using large amounts of shampoo means that then, you have none. Nothing about how it costs more or how its not very eco-conscious.

Amazing the difference in the world in a mere 24 years...

3 comments:

Becca said...

They've totally updated these, cause I bought the entire set for Goob. They're kind of lame but I hope they teach him something...once he'll sit down long enough for me to read them to him.

Anonymous said...

This really brings back memories. I remember childhood lectures on the importance of not wasting food, and not one of them included mention of environmental considerations. Instead, we were told to, "think about all the starving children in China." It never made much sense to me because we never sent surplus food overseas anyway, no matter how much we had, and the famine that kept making the news wasn't even in China. Anyway, no one ever once mentioned that wasting meat contributed to overgrazing, or that wasting food of any kind meant more gasoline being used to transport the replacement food. Actually, I didn't even know back then that there was anything wrong with using lots and lots of gasoline. I did know it cost money, but otherwise had no idea that there was any reason to avoid it. Times certainly have changed! I'm glad that kids today are growing up more aware than my generation.

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

I never knew about this, but now I'm intrigued to check it out. I love finding ways to teach kids how to be more eco-friendly.

Frugal Family Fun Blog

Good times on a budget!