Thursday, September 4, 2008

The $10 Dog Grooming



I recently discovered a hidden gem called The Yuppy Puppy. Its a self-serve dog wash in Mountain Top, PA...much like an old school car wash where you park the car and manually wash it with better equipment than you have in your driveway.

As you can see from the picture I have a Labrador retriever. I've honestly never thought of labs as being a breed that "needed" grooming, but over the recent years the amount of hair this guy leaves on my floors made me start to consider that professional help was needed. My dog was shedding enough hair to make a whole new dog. Like, every single day.

I would estimate an average Labrador grooming to be in the $50-$60 range--I'm sure depending on the location it could be much lower or much higher. They don't need a hair cut, just a good washing and drying with a tool called the blower. Of course, I've never bothered to take my dog to a groomer for several reasons. (1) I didn't want to pay $50 for him to have a professional blow-dry when I don't even do that for myself and (2) I'm perfectly capable of tying him to the deck and hosing him down, or even heaving his body into the tub and doing it that way. Yeah, its a mess and yes he tends to bolt right after the bath, leaving me with either a soaked hallway or a clean dog rolling in the mud. But hey, all that? Its free!

A friend turned me on to the Yuppie Puppy by stating that she was "amazed" at the reduction of hair on her floor after taking her 3 rottweilers (another heavy shedding breed) to the Yuppie Puppy. She intrigued me by proclaiming the "blower" to be the best tool on earth.

Since I worked in the animal field in my former, pre-mom life, I know groomers have big hoses that blow out hot air with heavy force, but I honestly always thought that the purpose was to quickly dry the dog. Which it does...but it also removes about half of the animal's body fur as well. And labs really need it. I mean really, look at this guy. Looks like a grizzly bear.

Anyhow, the best part of this entire experience is the cost. Like a car wash, you get 10 minutes for 5 dollars, and then (if you're like me) you speed-wash the dog in order to have maximum blowing time. So for $10 and in 20 minutes I had a brand new dog. And no mess in my house. I'm not saying he liked it, but he doesn't like bathing no matter where it happens.

I'm not sure how popular these self-serve dog washes are but if Mountain Top, PA has one, I'm pretty sure most areas have them somewhere. I think its my new favorite thing. Ten bucks, clean dog, less hair=less vacuuming for me! Or rather, less vacuuming for my Roomba. But that's another story for another day.

8 comments:

Tara said...

Um, aren't you leaving out something? Is this the day that you cut his toenails yourself and he bled ALL OVER?

Oh, wait, maybe that was another day.

Lindsay said...

No you are right. But, um, I couldn't see how mopping up bloody dog prints was going to make me thinner greener or richer. And, have I mentioned I used to be a vet tech? And nail cutting is like the simplest, most menial task we do? Seriously. Doesn't exactly put me in a shining light, does it?

Carter's Mommy said...

Another good idea is to out your local university and see if the pre-vet club has a doggy spa day. Our's has one once a month and for $10 you get a bath, ear cleaning and nail trim regardless of size of dog and all the money goes to the pre-vet club for their activities.

Dog Grooming Mississauga said...

Regular dog grooming will provide your dog with a shinier coat and a healthier lifestyle, plus it gives you the opportunity of spending some 'one on one' time with your dog. It is an essential part of looking after your best friend and his well being.

Dog Grooming Mississauga

Toronto Dog Groomer said...

Grooming at home builds trust between you and your pet. Using a professional dog groomer is good decision because dog grooming companies are familiar with the correct way to groom dogs and they know what is best for your particular breed. Between visits, it is important that you continually groom your pet as well.

Toronto Dog Groomer

Gen said...

I came across this because I was looking for info on yuppy puppy in mountain top. Which your review was quite helpful!

But have you tried using a dremel for doing your dogs toes? I used to have issues with toe trimming, but since I switched to a dremel, my dog just lies there during nail time and I haven't hit a quick in over a year!

Private tutor Lighthouse said...

It was a beneficial workout for me to go through your webpage. Dog grooming west palm beach It definitely stretches the limits with the mind when you go through very good info and make an effort to interpret it properly. I am going to glance up this web site usually on my PC. Thanks for sharing

RobustPost said...

I think this is a standout amongst the most critical data for me. What"s more, i"m happy perusing your article. Be that as it may, ought to comment on some broad things Dog Grooming Sioux Falls