Monday, September 29, 2008

The 130's


I just wanted to post on a small personal goal that I reached this past week--stepping onto the scale and seeing the needle waver above, but then decide to stay, in the 130's.

Actually this isn't really a "small" personal goal, its a huge one. I haven't been in the 130's in years, save for a brief time after my wedding when--depressed by my arm fat in the pictures--I embarked on Weight Watchers. (Side note: I would gladly endorse this program--mainly because it works. At least it did for me the 3 times I did it, and just about everyone else I know who's ever tried it.)

Anyhow, reaching the 130's sort of brings full-circle a weight loss odyssey that began about a year ago at roughly 170 lbs. Yeah, it was baby weight, but it was still ugly, scary, I-hate-myself flab. That didn't melt off. That took its sweet time deciding that I no longer needed it to nourish my baby (and let's face it, I never really need 50-excess pounds to grow a baby). This is really one of the first times in my life that I have consistently and painstakingly stuck with something for a long time and...wow...reaped the benefits.

So. Running. Working out. Eating healthy and limiting my poisons to weekends and/or special events (you know, cookies...french fries...beer...all the good stuff.) Realizing my metabolism sucks big time and exercise AND diet are the only way to get weight off (and keep it off...I have noticed that when a busy weeks crops up and running gets benched that I feel it.)

And, I'm not done. I realize that just because I hit the 130's one morning--naked and with an empty stomach and bladder--doesn't mean I won't slink back into the 140's. I still have a huge issue of excess skin around my waist...I'm not convinced I can't do anything about it, but, um, I'm not exactly lining up for plastic surgery either. I'm probably, at some point, going to give into baby lust and get myself knocked up again, thus beginning the process all over (though hopefully the shuddering I experience when remember post-baby-body will be enough to keep me in line.)

Okay, end of post...I think my first in awhile on the "thinner" part of thinner-greener-richer. I suppose now and then you have to pat yourself on the back, right?

No comments: