Monday, August 25, 2008

Crazy Coupon Lady, Part II

I didn't really make a goal this week. I can tell you I initially thought of stepping up my running a notch or two, but then it was raining this morning and I lost my motivation. Then, while I was contemplating just working on my old goals, my dishwasher promptly crashed and burned. Which means hand-washing until we figure out what's wrong with it or the end of time, whichever comes first. Already I've probably used 354 gallons of hot water, and its only lunchtime.

However, I am continuing on my crusade to save money by playing the CVS game and couponing. I have no personal goal this week that is going to make me skinny, earthy or rich, but I thought I would share my "score" at CVS this week. I'm actually not 100% convinced it was a score, but I am starting to see how the "CVS game" can work for me, too...
First, the loot:


Next, the tally:
  • (2) Red Zone Deodorant (CVS special, coupon)

  • (1) Huggies 52ct package (CVS special, coupon)

  • (1) 24ct Swiffer wet (CVS special)

  • (1) 2 pack Optifree contact solution (CVS special, coupon, earned ECB)

  • (2) 24ct Crayola crayon packs (buy one get one free!)

  • (2) Colgate toothpastes (coupon, CVS buy one get one free!)

  • (2) 24ct packs CVS brand batteries (buy one get one free!)

  • (1) 18ct box Playtex tampons (CVS special, coupon, earned ECB)

  • (1) Gillette body wash (coupon)

  • (1) Mesh body puff

So--overall I spent $72.32 and I saved $34.15. I earned $6 in ECBs and my quarterly "rewards" (which I can will get after Oct 1st) is at $21. With the exception of the manly mesh body sponge (requested by my husband) I either had a coupon, got the item on sale, or earned ECB's. The best deal was definitely the diapers--I basically saved $5 on them. The Crayons will be great as stocking stuffers or a small gift for one of the 547 children I know, and everything else falls in the category of things-we-use-regularly. I think having a stockpile in the closets is going to be nice...

I should also point out that after CVSing I hit the grocery store...and only spent $42! I garuntee you that I will need to go again at some point this week for things like milk and bread, but from stocking up the last couple weeks I really only needed to get things for dinner and fresh foods. Not too shabby.

And, before anyone gets their panties in a wad, I am quite aware that a number of my CVS purchases are decidedly not green...particularly the diapers and the Swiffer cleaning cloths. I do try to reserve the use of the Swiffer to days I'm pinched for time, or for quick clean-ups that don't require mixing a whole bucket of mop water. As for the diapers...my friends Julie and Jenny braved the cloth diaper waters and there are now two less babies in the world contributing their shit into our landfills. Um, I'm living vicariously through them?

Until next time...

No comments: